More articles (2007 – present) to come.
The Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Program (APA Program) has announced that Dr. Konrad Ng, a University of Hawai’i Assistant Professor of Creative Media, has joined the Program as a Visiting Scholar for 2009-2010. Dr. Ng will be researching the political dimensions and civic engagement of Asian Americans in film, video, and new media.
WASHINGTON, D.C. — On June 18, the Conference of Asian Pacific American Leadership (CAPAL) kicked off its Washington Leadership Program (WLP), a series of seminars for APA interns hosted every summer on Capitol Hill. Over 120 participants crowded into a U.S. Capitol reception room to meet their colleagues and make new friends.
WASHINGTON, D.C.—For eleven years now, the Smithsonian Institution’s APA Program has served as a resource center for the range and talent of the Asian and Pacific American community. On Friday, August 1 at the National Museum of the American Indian, the Organization of Chinese Americans will honor the APA Program and its director, Franklin Odo, for their cultural and educational contributions.
With the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) act expiring in 2007, lawmakers, educators, and advocates are gathering together to critically examine where and how to reform the nation’s education system. A new report released by the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) reveals the status of Asian American students in public schools, particularly the detrimental impact of NCLB on the English Language Learner (ELL) community.
Minority communities at the University of Maryland, College Park, MD have rallied together to speak out against the lack of diversity in UMD’s 2008 Strategic Plan. The Strategic Plan maps out the University’s future goals and determines where financial and intelligence resources are allocated. In doing so, it expresses the priorities and pertinent issues of the University. Unlike its precedent in 2000, the newest plan lacks objectives and procedures for increasing the diversity at the institution.
MUSIC AND MARROW: ACTIVISM THROUGH SONG (May 2008)
Four cheek swabs, a health questionnaire and form, and the willingness to donate when the time comes—that is all a volunteer (between the ages of 18-60) needs to enter the National Marrow Donor Program Registry. Only 30 percent of patients find a donor within their family; the other 70 percent rely on donors with matching tissue type. In particular, Asian Pacific Americans and other minorities critically need more marrow and blood cell donors to help members of their communities suffering from leukemia and other blood diseases.
CHICAGO, IL—Scholars, students, teachers, and community organizers gather in the largest city in the Midwest from April 16-20 for the 26th annual Association of Asian American Studies Conference. Typically, this conference has been held on the west or east coast, or major destination cities, but this is the first time that the conference has been held in the Midwest.
ITHACA, New York–Braving the snow and the wind, over 1,400 students made their way to Cornell University here to participate in the 33rd annual East Coast Asian American Student Union (ECAASU) Conference, held on February 15-16.
“You have an objective goal of being in the moment,” Professor Francis Tanglao-Aguas instructs his students as they act out a scene in front of their classmates. “It was two people speaking truth, and then you go to that level—that’s the moment!”
Crowded around the tripod and jeep, the seven students do not seem to mind the fact they have been standing for hours in 90-degree weather without a lunch break. One girl translates script directions to an actor as a boy balances a reflector, highlighting the actor’s face. A couple of students discuss their ideas with the instructors as they try handling the audio equipment. The other students take turns focusing, zooming, and panning the camera for the perfect shot.
Beginning in 2004 with only 2 students, the Asian Pacific American Studies (APAS) minor at the University of Virginia has since then had or currently has 20 students enrolled. Out of all the colleges and universities in the state of Virginia, UVA is the only school to offer an Asian American studies program.